• James D. Lynch


A working teenager or college student who is a dependent on their parents' tax return may not need to file a tax return of their own if income from their job was less than $6,350 for 2017. However, if federal income taxes were withheld from their paychecks, they should file a tax return to get that money refunded.

Note that dependents are not allowed to claim an exemption on their own tax return because the parents are entitled to claim the exemption for their dependents on the parents' tax return. In addition, the dependent's standard deduction is limited to the earned income for the year plus $350, but not to exceed the regular standard deduction of $6350.

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • alignable_square
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • avvo
  • Justia-Icon
  • lawyer_com favicon
  • taxbuzz
  • ptin-seal
  • 170927-usnsquarelogo-design
  • favicon-32x32
  • mail icon

Law Office of James D. Lynch, PLLC

3000 Joe Dimaggio Blvd #90, Round Rock, TX 78665


(512) 745-6347

(714) 745-3875

©2020 by Law Office of James D. Lynch, PLLC. The information contained in this website is for informational purposes and is not to be considered legal advice.  Any correspondence between you and the Law Office of James D. Lynch is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not send confidential information to us until after an attorney-client relationship has been established by an engagement letter signed by the proposed client and our attorney.