• James D. Lynch

Steps to Apply for a Tourist Visa to the United States

Updated: Mar 31, 2018

The B-2 tourist visa is for people traveling to the United States temporarily for pleasure or non-business purposes. If you apply for a tourist visa, you must do the following:

● Have a passport with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States.

● Get two 2-inch by 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) photograph taken within the last six months.

● Fill out Form DS-160 (which can be found at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/) and pay application fee (currently $160).

● Schedule your interview at the U.S. Embassy.

● Study the answers you wrote on your DS-160. The consular officer will ask about these in your interview to make sure your answers in your interview correspond to the answers you wrote on the DS-160.

● Bring supporting documentation to the interview, such as current proof of income, pay slips from your job, tax records, bank statements, property ownership, invitation letter, etc. The purpose of the supporting documentation is to show the consular officer that your have reason to return to your country and that you will not overstay your visa in the United States.

● If approved, you will leave your passport at the Embassy and pick it up some time later with your tourist visa.

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • alignable_square
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • avvo
  • Justia-Icon
  • lawyer_com favicon
  • taxbuzz
  • ptin-seal
  • 170927-usnsquarelogo-design
  • favicon-32x32
  • mail icon

Law Office of James D. Lynch, PLLC

3000 Joe Dimaggio Blvd #90, Round Rock, TX 78665


(512) 745-6347

(714) 745-3875

©2020 by Law Office of James D. Lynch, PLLC. The information contained in this website is for informational purposes and is not to be considered legal advice.  Any correspondence between you and the Law Office of James D. Lynch is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not send confidential information to us until after an attorney-client relationship has been established by an engagement letter signed by the proposed client and our attorney.