James D. Lynch
Steps to Apply for a Tourist Visa to the United States
Updated: Mar 31, 2018
The B-2 tourist visa is for people traveling to the United States temporarily for pleasure or non-business purposes. If you apply for a tourist visa, you must do the following:
● Have a passport with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States.
● Get two 2-inch by 2-inch (5cm x 5cm) photograph taken within the last six months.
● Fill out Form DS-160 (which can be found at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/) and pay application fee (currently $160).
● Schedule your interview at the U.S. Embassy.
● Study the answers you wrote on your DS-160. The consular officer will ask about these in your interview to make sure your answers in your interview correspond to the answers you wrote on the DS-160.
● Bring supporting documentation to the interview, such as current proof of income, pay slips from your job, tax records, bank statements, property ownership, invitation letter, etc. The purpose of the supporting documentation is to show the consular officer that your have reason to return to your country and that you will not overstay your visa in the United States.
● If approved, you will leave your passport at the Embassy and pick it up some time later with your tourist visa.