• James D. Lynch


If you need more time to file your return, you can get an automatic six-month extension of time to file from the IRS.

To get an extension, file form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Your extension must be postmarked by the April 17th deadline.

An extension will give you extra time to get your paperwork to the IRS, and you avoid late-filing penalties by filing an extension. But it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due. You still must pay your tax by the April 17th deadline, or you will owe interest on any amount not paid by the deadline, plus you may owe late payment penalties.

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • alignable_square
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • avvo
  • Justia-Icon
  • lawyer_com favicon
  • taxbuzz
  • ptin-seal
  • 170927-usnsquarelogo-design
  • favicon-32x32
  • mail icon

Law Office of James D. Lynch, PLLC

3000 Joe Dimaggio Blvd #90, Round Rock, TX 78665


(512) 745-6347

(714) 745-3875

©2020 by Law Office of James D. Lynch, PLLC. The information contained in this website is for informational purposes and is not to be considered legal advice.  Any correspondence between you and the Law Office of James D. Lynch is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.  Please do not send confidential information to us until after an attorney-client relationship has been established by an engagement letter signed by the proposed client and our attorney.